Monday, May 28, 2007

Correspondence from Senator Reid

Correspondence from Senator Reid
Current mood: bitchy
Category: Life

Correspondence from Senator Reid

April 3, 2007


Ms. Samantha XXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
Las Vegas, Nevada 89117


Dear Ms. XXXXXX:


Thank you for contacting me about the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP). I appreciate hearing from you.

Past news articles have indicated that the Bush Administration has launched working-group activity to enhance cooperation with Mexico and Canada. The groups, working under an office in the Department of Commerce, are seeking to implement the SPP signed by President Bush, Mexican President Vicente Fox, and then-Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin in Waco, Texas on March 23, 2005.

The SPP does not envision a common regional government similar to the European Union, but instead each country would fully retain its sovereignty as they cooperate on joint issues. In any event, were an effort made to turn the SPP into a regional government, it would require authorization from Congress. No such proposal exists in Congress and it is highly unlikely that Congress would ever approve such a measure.


International trade is critical to the American economy, but that does not mean that the U.S. should rush to adopt trade agreements hastily, or without securing important rules so that our workers will not be placed in an unfair position relative to those in other countries. Such agreements place U.S. workers at an unfair disadvantage when competing with countries with inadequate labor laws that do not meet basic international standards and histories of labor-rights abuses. Further, flawed agreements that allow labor abuses will not help the average citizen in our free trade agreement partners to climb up the economic ladder, but are more likely to exacerbate income inequality in these countries.


Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. For more information about my work for Nevada, my role in the United States Senate Leadership, or to subscribe to regular e-mail updates on the issues that interest you, please visit my Web site at http://reid.senate.gov. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

I look forward to using your tax dollars for my future pork projects, such as the bridge between Colorado and Nevada that goes directly to some property that I own there. Or the conservation land-grab that I pulled for my brother-in-law out in Las Vegas. I expect that you will work real hard to earn more so you could pay your taxes and support my pet projects, Hehhe thanks dummy!!

My best wishes to you.

Sincerely,

HARRY "knuckles" REID

United States Bitch

HR:js

I added that last little tidbit but Harry Knuckles wanted to write that.....

~Samantha

No comments: